Monday, October 22, 2007

YouTube Apology

I think this article was really interesting but I also find it refreshing that companies are finding better ways of getting their apologies out there so that people can understand what happened and the company's version of why it happened and what they are doing about the problem to ensure that it doesn't happen again. To me, it means they are taking responibility for what occured and want more people to hear about the problem and how they are taking the enishative to fix it. This is a prime example of taking the new media and using it to your advantage, which to me is different than what some companies are doing to merely get into the new wave of media.
I do however think it is important what the article went on to say. If someone is going to get on YouTube and not be sincere about what happened and not be truly sorry, then the whole deal is a waste and, more than that, bad publicity. The deliverance of such apologies, combined with timing, is what is really important. WHere and how the apology is delivered is merely a component.
But I like the idea. And the airline was smart to reach out to people that way.

No comments: