Friday, October 19, 2007

Articles Posted... Social Networking and Fake Blogs

I found the article on social networking to be really interesting. Some of the things mentioned on within the article just really made me think about my own experiences with social networking and the difference between a person using these networks and a business. As a college student, I have profiles on myspace and facebook and I am subjected to the advertising and groups trying to get people to join and people inviting you to big events where they want lots of people to come, etc. I just think that it all really depends on how much time I can spend looking over that sort of stuff. Some days I don't do anything besides check my inbox and my wall to see if anyone has written me and then I log off. On those days, it would not even matter how good the content of any companies page has, I won't visit it due to time constrictions. But there are days when I have more time and I do browse. The most important thing that I feel that the article mentioned was that companies need to stick with their particular brand. Target is known for certain things; Walmart is known for other things; But theses stores need to know how they are perceived and not try to fight it. Target is a completely different business as Walmart, though they are often said to be under the same category. I go to Target to get a little bit better clothing (sometimes they have better stuff), also I buy shoes and accessories sometimes from there. I will not buy these things from Walmart
(it has always been my experience that they did not have anything that I would really like), however I spend far more money at Walmart. When I need to go to the grocery store, and I live by both a Walmart and a Target, I go to Walmart. Food and other products for the house, Walmart has a far better selection. I think that with Walmart being more of a store that leads in this household area, why are they trying to get teenagers to spend money there? Teens and their parents already spend money there on dorm stuff, though it probably is not furniture. I think when Walmart went on Facebook, it was a stupid move. They should spend there money else where. Maybe moving their interests to Moms shopping for back to school stuff or something like that. Just because people are using these network does not mean that it is a good outlet for a company to get there name out there. Posting on these outlets have to have good reasons (a strategy) rather than just because everyone else is doing it.

No comments: